Июл 10 2014
Цей урок є авторською розробкою засновника проекту «English4every1», посилання на цей ресурс є обов’язковою умовою його використання з навчальною метою.
Cyber warfare: what values we fight for…
1) What is a definition of a cyberspace? Which definition sounds better to you? Is it a phenomenon of social interaction or that of technology? How would you describe it: a core component of modern life or an augmentation (збільшення; приріст) of the communication channel between real people? What kind of environment does it offer to its participants?
2) What are methods of cyber-attacks do you know (experience yourself)?
3) Cyber espionage is explained as an act or practice of obtaining secrets from individuals, competitors, rivals, groups, governments and enemies. What secrets can be obtained vie cyber space? Which advantages can be achieved through cyber espionage?
4) Do you think that electrical power grid is protected from cyber-attacks?
5) Which term is more accurate «cyberwar» or «cyberterrorism»?
6) Which countries were involved in cyber-wars? Which sensitive data might be stolen (attacked)?
reconnaissance — розвідка; рекогносцирування
II. Three theses – controversial ones, you need to either agree or disagree with them prudently and with arguments.
1) In 2010, the Pentagon created the U.S. Cyber Command, under the helm of NSA director Gen. Keith Alexander, to better prepare the U.S. for a potential attack on digital infrastructure. Later that year, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense William Lynn said cyberspace had become “just as critical to military operations as land, sea, air, and space.”
2) “We do have a security problem whereby life is rushing towards the Internet faster than we’re developing Internet security,” said Marquis-Boire.
3) “It’s not cyber war, its cyber terrorism and I’m afraid it’s just the beginning of the game,” Kaspersky said at a conference in Tel Aviv. “I’m afraid it will be the end of the world as we know it.”
VIDEO “How cyber-attacks threaten real-world peace”
III. New vocabulary
adversary — (су)противник; ворог
tremendous — жахливий, страшний
retaliate — відплачувати; мститися
anxiety — тривога, неспокій, турбота
distinguish — розрізняти
ambiguity — двозначність, неясність
prudent — розсудливий, розважливий
reciprocal — обопільний, взаємний
preemptive — превентивний, упереджувальний
In Ukraine there is an information war. Some might argue, but a lot of people would agree. Do you participate in it as a divan soldier? Have you ever heard of “divan hundred”? Which methods of information war (cyber war) can be used to wage a war against an enemy on the Internet?
divan hundred (https://www.facebook.com/dyvannasotnya/ ) — спецзагін самооборони Київського Віча з інформреагування та троллінгу лежачих військ супротивників.
While watching activity
1) Cyber war or spy operation, which word sounds precisely?
2) Cyber war is dangerous, but can it lead the world into a conflict that might destroy a physical world?
3) Could cyber-attacks be as powerful asweapons of mass destruction?
4) Is military technology in favour of peace or against it?
5) According to this talk does nuclear weapon prevent or inflame a war? What is the issue with cyber weapons?
6) What is the ambiguity with building a cyber-war unit? How has the doctrine of use of a cyber-war unit become ambiguous?
7) Cyber weapons have a peculiar feature. What is that?
8) What kind of environment are cyber weapons creating?
9) Why can coordination among nations become complicated and trickier?
10) Do cyber weapons substitute conventional weapons?
1) Russian propaganda is reported to slur Ukrainians as fascists or promote the idea that Ukraine is not a real country. Is this a point of view or rather an information war (cyber war)?
2) What is a countermeasure to disinformation?
3) Why do volunteers actively defend informational territory of Ukraine, not a governmental organizations and TV stations?
4) What does Ukraine need to do in regard with disinformation?
5) RT claims that it now reaches more than 644 million people worldwide; can it slip in messages about Kremlin policy between more popular programs?
6) What is the biggest challenge for Ukrainians patriots who fight for truth?
View the answer-sheet: